Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Starbury or Star-buried?


My first question: Is Stephon Marbury insane? A guy with that much talent and he’s refusing to play basketball? Asked about his Knicks contract recently on ESPN, Starbury made his opinion clear: “I’m prayin’ for it to severatize.” I looked up severatize on Urban Dictionary but only found one entry by a user called Starberry3.
Speech impedimentization or not, Steph is a two-time All-Star. He’s averaging 20 and eight for his career, proving that similar stats alone don’t lead to good relationships (Isiah averaged 19 and nine). Speaking of Isiah, Marbury isn’t perfect (he also said that on ESPN), but let’s not forget the Knicks basically froze him out during pre-season. Basketball Arrogance founder Paul was there for a few practices at Skidmore. He said the coaches barely talked to Starbury. Weeks later, during the season, the Knicks organization starts trashing Steph for refusing to play.
In a funny way, it’s like the Iverson-we-talkin-bout-practice situation but twisted around. Marbury actually went to all the practices, but then he wasn’t played in the games. We talking bout games here. Not practice. Games. We talkin bout a two-time NBA All-Star not playin in the games! I mean we talkin bout games! (Repeat until laughter in the journalist audience finally peaks).
My new question: Are the Knicks insane? You are the Mickey Rourke of the NBA. You used to be good, but you’ve been reduced to a punchline. Only difference is that Mickey Rourke has clawed his way back to the top with “The Wrestler.” Marbury should have been the Knicks’ Wrestler. Here’s my motto for Steph: Two-time All-Stars always deserve one more chance. Someone please fly over the Big Apple with that hanging behind your plane. Seriously, do it. I’ll pay you when I’m 25 and rich because I’m the NBA agent presiding over a three-time All-Star.
Actually, LeBron will be the Knicks’ Wrestler when they acquire him in 2010. He will resurrect the franchise and take them to the promised land. LeBron could quit basketball today, claim he is the second coming of Jesus, and gather a decent following.
The Knicks could have been amongst the best in the East with Marbury this year. It’s easy to forget they had the choice to play nice. “I was told I had a clean slate,” Marbury told ESPN. For some reason, I trust his sincerity. Don’t forget he was once a kid who made it out of Coney Island to one day play professional basketball, and now he runs a company that provides cheap sneaks to kids.
Now he might end up in Boston. Hmm… a two-time All-Star joining the defending champion Celtics. Maybe he’ll play extra nice and come off the bench. Which brings me to my first announcement: NBA backup pointguards: tape your ankles.

No comments:

Post a Comment